Thanks for Helping!
Thanks to everyone who helped their neighbors in need last year. Because of the generosity of donors and volunteers, NHCO provided services to 6,083 families, including emergency food and utility help, adult scholarships, free rides for seniors, and much, much more.
Run for a Reason
NHCO is recruiting runners and committee members for the Dick’s Sporting Goods 2013 Pittsburgh Marathon. Runners can run the relay (build your own team!), 5k, half marathon or full marathon, raising funds for NHCO! Visit www.crowdrise.com/TeamNHCOPittsburgh2013 or call Linda at 412-487-6316 opt. 2.
Pet Food Donations Accepted
Many pets are ending up at shelters due to the economic downturn. Local families need your help to keep their pets at home. Bradford Hills Veterinary Hospital, Pet Hotel and Pet Salon is accepting donations of good-dated, unopened, non-prescription dog and cat food for NHCO to assist local families in need. Donations accepted through November 15 at Bradford Hills Veterinary Hospital, 13055 Perry Highway, Wexford, PA 15090.
Dine Out, Help Neighbors
California Pizza Kitchen, http://www.cpk.com, Ross Park Mall, will hold a canned food drive to benefit NHCO November 5-11. Bring 5 boxed or canned items and receive 20% off your check! For more information, contact Megan at 412-548-1399.
Thanksgiving on Every Table
North Hills Community Outreach is collecting food items to create complete Thanksgiving meals to distribute to local families in need. Items that make a meal include: grocery store gift cards of at least $10, large boxes of stuffing mix and instant mashed potatoes, canned cranberry sauce, canned vegetables, easy pumpkin pie mix, evaporated milk, muffin mix, turkey gravy mix and napkins. Donations are accepted through November 14. For more information, contact Vicki at 412-487-6316, opt. 1, or visit www.nhco.org.
Sharing Projects Underway
Donations are being accepted at NHCO for Sharing Holiday Warmth, which provides struggling families with gift cards to pay their utility bills and buy groceries during the holiday season. Sharing Wreaths are also available to hang at your place of business or worship to encourage donations. Toys, games and gift cards for children of all ages are also being accepted for NHCO’s annual Toy Shop. Please contact Vicki at 412-487-6316 opt. 1 about either project. Donations accepted at our three main offices Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm, or at NHCO’s main office, 1975 Ferguson Rd, Allison Park, PA 15101, during special Saturday donation hours, Nov. 10 and Dec. 1, 9am to noon.
Car Donations Needed for working families
North Hills Community Outreach has a long list of low-income working families waiting for a car from NHCO’s Community Auto program. The program needs vehicle donations that will help struggling people get to work and provide transportation for their families. Cars can be donated in any condition and donors could qualify for the maximum possible tax deduction. Call 724-443-8300 or visit www.communityauto.org.
Volunteer Opportunities at NHCO
- Open Your Heart to a Senior, a program of NHCO, immediately needs substitute drivers and ride-along dispatchers for the Free Rides for Seniors shuttle. No special license needed; training provided. Please contact Kerry Mulhern at 412-449-0151.
- Open Your Heart to a Senior, a program of NHCO, has lots of opportunities for volunteers to help seniors stay safe at home. Leaf raking and show shoveling are two great ways teens and groups can help. Contact Nancy at 4120307-0069 for more information or visit www.nhco.org.
- North Hills Community Outreach needs volunteer instructors for a vehicle ownership class. Contact Linda Robins at 412-487-6316, opt. 2 for more information.
Free Computer Classes
- North Hills Community Outreach offers free computer classes to help people become more comfortable using computers in their job searches. Classes are open to everyone and include Introduction to Computers, Introduction to the Internet, Internet Job Searching and Microsoft Office. The classes take place at NHCO Millvale at 416 Lincoln Ave on Mondays at 10 a.m. and Avalon Public Library on Thursdays at 5:45 p.m. Call 412-487-6316, option 2 for more information.
NHCO Legal Help
- NHCO presents Ask the Attorney, free legal consultations on noncriminal matters for income-eligible individuals. November 14, 7 to 9 p.m., Millvale Community Center, second floor, 416 Lincoln Ave. Appointments are required. Call Harriet Gibbs at 412-487-6316, opt. 2.