The holidays often bring families together under one roof to share in meals, conversation, and gift-giving. But as the season of giving quickly comes upon us, let us not forget those struggling with homelessness and resulting circumstances. There are many ways you can help these families and their children receive the support—often in the form of simple items—they need to better enjoy this time of year.
Below is a list of frequently-requested items from Homeless Children’s Education Fund’s partners, who are working to meet the needs of those experiencing homelessness in Allegheny County:
• Port Authority ticket books, Zone 1 or Zone 2. Booklets of 10 or 20 individual bus tickets may be purchased at the downtown PAT office at 534 Smithfield Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15222, or online at http://www.portauthority.org/paac/FaresPasses/BuyOnline.aspx (This is the item our partners are in greatest need of currently.)
• Purex Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets
• New socks and underwear in all youth and adult sizes
• $5 gift cards to Target, Walmart or Giant Eagle
• We could also accept full-size toiletries for men and women, including: deodorant, 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, Chap Stick, moisturizer with SPF 15-20, and body wash.
• Waterproof toiletry bags or caddies
It goes without saying that no one should be left behind or forgotten, especially during this season, which, for some, could become yet another reminder of what they don’t have or have unfortunately lost. The above items, while they might not seem like much to some, can truly impact the lives of others. So, as you complete your shopping lists, be inspired to give the gifts that make a difference.
If you would like to send a gift it can be mailed to:
Homeless Children’s Education Fund
2100 Smallman Street, 2nd Floor
Pittsburgh, Pa 15222